Friday, September 4, 2009

I love boating

Crawling around the boat
Hanging out with Grandpa


Xander and Mommy


Me waterskiing







My parents wanted to wait until my siblings and I were a little older to purchase a boat. I was 14 when they bought a 1970's Apollo. I was so excited to try out some water sports. I got tubing down right away but mastering the knee board or skis took me a bit longer. By the next summer I was up on the knee board and having a good time. I tried to pick up water skiing next, but that requires more strength from the skier and from the boat's engine. I was strong enough but the boat ended up being a lemon. I was so sad, and I think I even shed some tears when we discovered that this boat was almost beyond or even worth fixing. It was old and just not well taken care of by the previous owners. We were able to sell it to a new owner who was willing to invest time and money to get it running again. After a few weeks of searching we finally found the perfect boat, a '97 Reinell. It had a little cuddy in the front which is perfect for Lake Powell beach camping. It was large enough for our family of five and a lot newer then the Apollo. I mastered water skiing, slalom skiing and wake boarding and I still love them. I don't do any tricks, but I love being behind the boat. I have a lot of great memories of boating. We spent tons of time down at Lake Powell. That boat survived a couple infamous storms at Lake Powell. I awoke to one of those storms to see the boat top coming down on top of me because the wind was so powerful it bent the poles. With the exception of my sister, we all shared a love for boating. Now my parents have moved from Price and have a house at Bear Lake. That is where I have been boating for the past couple years.
Our boat is still going strong. I know it is my parents boat, but they technically share it with their now grown up kids. I love boating so much, I even went when Xander was just 6 weeks old and I was still doing some postpartum recuperating. On September 1st I took Xander on his second boating trip. He went on his first trip in June. I think he likes boating. I can't wait to buy him a pair of training skis and watch him enjoy a piece of my childhood. I hope Jerry and I can buy a boat of our own someday and enjoy water sports with our kids. Jerry does a little water skiing and I hope I can get him to love boating more. I miss going to Lake Powell. I was 18 the last time I went and I hope I can make it back down there soon.
On my previous post I was talking about my brother Michael's engagement. For reasons unknown to me, the engagement is off for now. I was hoping to be friends with his fiancee, but things seem to be strange between us. Maybe someday I will get a sister-in-law. Someday Xander will have cousins, but they may be a lot younger then him.

1 comment:

Lex-a-roo said...

Holly cow the boat was on top of you? That's crazy. I love boating too but I like the fishing part. I've never been water skiing but somday...