Sunday, July 13, 2014

Birthday time!

My first baby turned 6 today.   I can't believe it has been 6 years already.   I can't believe Xander will be going to 1st grade in a few weeks.  I remember the day of his birth.   It was the same as today,  a sunny July Sunday morning.  I had been admitted to the hospital around 1 am, shortly after my water broke in bed!   After hours of labor my baby was born at 9:44 am.  You see birth stories where they first hand the newborn to the new mom and she eagerly grabs her baby and just holds them and smiles.   That didn't happen to me at all.   I was still dealing with the shock that my daughter was actually a son.  (A story for a different time.)  Then I was terrified to hold this fragile creature.   I couldn't believe the nurses would actually trust a person like me with a new baby.   I had almost no baby experience,  so those first few weeks were baby boot camp for me.  Since Xander is my first child,  every stage is new to me.   I know he has changed so much from his birth,  but I have changed a lot too.   I have learned a lot about myself.   I have struggled to learn how to meet the needs of my children and balance my life.   I keep praying and working on my patience.   I have a long way to go to be a better mom but I'm trying.   I do love my children and want to give them a good life.   I want them to be good people.   I pray for them to grow their own testimonies and want to be part of the LDS church because it is where I place all my faith.

Wesley turns 4 on the 22nd.   It is really bittersweet seeing him grow up.   He is my last baby.   I dream of having another but it may never happen.   I have prayed for it,  but learned that as much as you try to "plan" your family, it truly is out of your hands.   I know am blessed in this life.   As challenging as parenthood is,  I can't imagine living my life without this calling.   Happy Birthday to my July babies!       

No comments: