Saturday, February 4, 2012

PRK surgery

Last October I went to the Moran Eye Center for a free consultaion and screening to see if I could get LASIK to fix my poor vision.  It has been a dream of mine ever since my vision started diminishing when I was in 4th grade.  Technology has really come a long way since I first dreamed of getting my eyes fixed.  I found out that my corneas are too thin and could not get LASIK.  I was really dissapointed and they introduced me to a lesser known method called PRK (Photorefractive Kerectomy).  I'm typing with very limited vision right now and I will fix all my typos later.  I found out that this method is similar to LASIK in that a laser is used to correct poor vision but the difference is the prep for the surgery.  With LASIK they cut a flap in your cornea and shoot the laser through.  Healing and recovery is a peace of cake.  With PRK they use chemicals and scrape off the top epithelium of your eye and then correct with the laser.  Recovery is longer and has some pain.  I'm on day #3 and the pain hasn't been terrible.  I am dealing with hazy vision and struggling to see the monitor I'm typing on. 

My big day was Thursday Feb 2nd.  It's a day that I hope will be one of the best decisions ever.  I went in at 7:30am and everything happened really fast.  The doctor was ready for me and it was so quick I felt like my eyes were already done the minute I laid down.  They took my vitals and gave me a bunch of instructions for the millions of eye drops I would take over the next several days.  They numbed and cleansed my eyes and then took me back.  I layed down on a table and they put this nice warm blanket over me.  I brought my fat cat stuffed animal and it was surprising comforting because I was terrified!  My job was to keep my head still and focus on the green light right in the center.  It was so fast, even the laser part.  They were done with me in about 10 minutes.  I could see right away but my vision was hazy like it still is right now but I can see glimpses of clear vision.  I do have a protective contact on but I am seeing with my own eyes right now and it's at least 100 times better then it was before!  I"m very hopeful that when my vision settles that I will not need glasses or contacts, at least for several years.

I feel like I can function pretty well despite the hazy vision.  The pain hasn't been horrible.  It's a burning pain and my eyes tear up, but it has been manageable.  The doctor even said I could keep working out so I did a good workout today.  I feel like I'm getting back into my routine slowly.  So far I am glad I did this and I'm hoping my vision will clear when my eyes heal up.  I will post more of an update later because it is really difficult to see the monitor right now.

No comments: