Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Xander's first surgery

Xander has had congestion problems since he was born. It was so bad I think it contributed to me not being able to nurse him. I had to pump all his milk for his first year. I would address the congestion issue with his pediatrician at every singe appointment and he would keep brushing it off. I kept saying that I wanted him to be better by the time he reached his first birthday. Well he wasn't better. Everyone who meets him thinks he has a cold and I have to explain that he has always breathed roughly. Finally I had enough and I begged the pediatrician for a referral to an ENT. In the meantime my son failed a hearing test in both ears and still hasn't said his first word yet. The doctor found fluid in his ears and recommended that we put tubes in and remove his adenoids to help him breath better. I was so nervous, but I finally decided that nothing else was helping and surgery might be the answer.
We took him to the hospital this morning and they examined him before his surgery. They were concerned because of his rough breathing, but I told them it is how he always breathes. They checked his lungs and said they found a problem on one side. I never knew there were any lung issues. It meant that if he was having breathing problems because of anesthesia, he might have to stay overnight to be monitored. We still made the decision to go ahead with surgery. The workers were really nice and kept telling us what a cute little boy we have and they gave him a stuffed animal to keep and hold onto in surgery. I almost cried as the wheeled him away. I can't believe how hard that is to see somebody take your baby away to cut him and put tubes and wires on him! I don't think I could have watched the surgery.
The surgery went well and they were surprised at how much mucous and fluid build up was in his ears. The cleaned him out and removed his adenoids. I was hoping to hear a difference in his breathing, but he still sounds pretty congested. I'm still hoping to see some good changes in the next couple of days. However, the doctor wants to do a blood work up on my son in 30 days to see if there are some other issues. I am so glad a doctor finally is willing to see that he is having problems and wants to help, but I'm nervous we wont find out what is wrong. He even wants to test for Cystic fibrosis. My poor little guy!
Despite his congestion, he is so happy and playful. He loves to wrestle with mommy and daddy. He has a beautiful smile and laughs a lot. In fact he even played this afternoon on the same day of his surgery, until he got too tired because of the drugs. He is a tough guy and a fighter, but I just pray we can clear up these problems.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

That is crazy. I hope your little boy is ok! Keep us updated!